Calvert Family Advocates’ programs prevent homelessness by addressing the immediate critical needs of families. Calvert Family Advocates provides financial aid to families referred by Calvert County’s Department of Social Services (DSS) who are on the threshold of losing their homes.
Calvert Family Advocates supports DSS clients by:
• Paying rental and utilities arrearages to enable families to remain together and sheltered.
• Providing first month’s rent or security deposit to enable families to transition out of shelters and into permanent housing.
• Providing funds for emergencies which threaten families’ safety and well-being.
Examples of how we have helped:
• Calvert Family Advocates provided funding for utilities arrearages and helped a family avoid eviction due the hospitalization of a child.
• Calvert Family Advocates provided funding toward a security deposit, allowing a family to transition from a homeless shelter to permanent housing.
• Calvert Family Advocates paid for moving expenses to relocate an elderly veteran who was evicted from his home through no fault of his own.
• Calvert Family Advocates was a major house sponsor for Christmas in April, providing funding to renovate 6 homes in 2017 which resulted in improved living conditions for senior citizens, veterans, disabled persons and low income families.