Hand-up not handouts…
Calvert Family Advocates’ programs are designed to help people “get ahead”… not get a handout. Being self-sufficient is their goal. Helping them get there is our mission!
Calvert Family Advocates believes every adult should have the tools and resources necessary to support themselves and their families. For those adults who are struggling to achieve self-sufficiency, Calvert Family Advocates provides of variety of financial support to help them help themselves. Calvert Family Advocates also recognizes that not everyone grows up in a loving and supportive family, and poor decisions can derail a young adult’s ability to be self-sufficient. Calvert Family Advocates supports programs that help young adults improve their job prospects through education. With the exception of the Childcare Grant and End Hunger culinary program, all assistance is provided in response to referrals from the Calvert County Department of Social Services (DSS).
Calvert Family Advocates supports DSS clients by:
• Funding transportation expenses for medical appointments.
• Funding the cost of education and materials necessary for job training or jobs.
Examples of how we have helped:
• Calvert Family Advocates provided tuition assistance that enabled a home health care worker to pursue a degree in Nursing.
• Calvert Family Advocates is funding the End Hunger culinary program the cost of materials and certifications for 4 students per year (1 per class) to improve job prospects.
• Calvert Family Advocates granted childcare funding to enable a single mother working full-time to pursue a degree from the College of Southern Maryland.
• Calvert Family Advocates paid for driver’s education for a mother who had been recently widowed.
• Calvert Family Advocates provided funding to purchase vehicles for (5) low-income families that needed transportation in order to work or increase hours at work.
Click Here to download a copy of the Child Care Grant Application.