F.A.Q.

Q: Does the Dept. of Social Services have a hotline?

The Calvert County Department of Social Services’ 24-hour hotline to report child and adult abuse and neglect is (443) 550-6969.

Q: How do you decide who to help?

We primarily provide financial assistance to people referred to us by the Calvert County Department of Social Services (DSS). These individuals are being assisted by professional social workers who assess the needs and determine the course of action that best promotes self-sufficiency. For qualified individuals in need of financial assistance beyond DSS’s capacity to provide, the DSS case manager will request assistance from Calvert Family Advocates. We also coordinate with other organizations in the community that are helping citizens in need such as the homeless shelters and Calvert County’s Homeless Board. In addition to DSS, these organizations help us understand where the greatest needs are so that we have the knowledge necessary to plan and fundraise for our programs.

Q: How much of my donation will go to overhead expenses?

We are an all-volunteer organization so our overhead expenses are very low – less than 1%. Approximately 96% of our budget goes directly to people in need. The remaining 3-4% is cost associated with fundraising.

Q: How can I access your services?

The Childcare Grant application is available on our website for students attending the College of Southern Maryland. For all other services, applicants must complete the application process at the Calvert County Department of Social Services (DSS) since DSS may be able to provide financial assistance or other services. The DSS caseworker will develop and submit the application to Calvert Family Advocates. DSS is located at 200 Duke St, Prince Frederick, MD 20678. Their phone number is (443) 550-6900.

Q: I’m not a Calvert County resident. Can I still get help from your organization?

We are currently assisting only Calvert County residents referred to us by the Calvert County Department of Social Services. Dial 2-1-1 on your phone or click on www.211md.org to locate resources in your county.

Q: What other assistance is available?

Click here to access a list of emergency resources available to qualified Calvert County residents.